Sunday, October 10, 2010

High/Low Week 40, 2010

This week stirred up a few rough patches, and I did a better job of reflecting on them.

With teaching as my self-assessed greatest strength, it's a flashpoint when someone doesn't understand what I'm talking about. That happened separately with both a direct report of mine at the office, and also from a manager who contradicts my work product too often for my taste. Coming away, I analogized to those humiliating moments on the basketball court when I'm stripped of the dribble - a harmless combination of my own fault and the circumstances of the other party; unrepresentative of the player I am overall. I just need to get there as an immediate instinct, rather than on the backside of some burning.

Facing the unknown is another trough of emotional slop. I received a call about the condominium lien I'd invested a fair amount of time in previously. Had I misunderstood the effects? As it turns out, no. Still, it gave rise to some inner tumult overnight in the midst of an enjoyable vacation to that point. The effective mantra of "everything's gonna be all right" slipped away a few too many times for satisfaction these last seven days.

As usual, lots went right.

Despite the potholes at work, we reached a significant and successful milestone in developing a new product, culminating in a pair of executive agreements in a ten-minute span just before I departed for...

The B-52's concert was a true gift of an experience, as we ran into some good friends there and had a terrific time moving and occasionally dancing to the oldies.

The highlight was Dena's Kiwanian of the Year award. Some flowers flourish and are seen to bloom only occasionally. Dena's tireless and silent devotion to others blossomed deservedly and unexpectedly here, rising above ten other nominees.

The meeting with Coach Short was smooth, upbeat and encouraging. My mind has started to drift toward tryouts in the way that opening day seeps into the consciousness of fantasy baseball fans. (And, by the way, fantasy basketball season rests just around the corner.) Meanwhile, post-season baseball has brought a package of exciting moments, all captured and viewed leisurely on DVR.

Today I sit in breezy warm afternoon climes. Listening to the Bears put away another unlikely win. Taking in the earthy aroma of freshly-cut grass and seeing the afternoon sunlight fall on multi-colored trees through the window. Reclining on the couch at the conclusion of a relaxing 4-day weekend. Looking forward to an evening with family, and another successful week ahead.

No comments: