Thursday, October 7, 2010

Paying A Complement

One of the items that enhances the salability of a condominium complex is uniformity in appearance. At least, that's what the realtors tell us.

No one who's roomed with me would doubt that I can handle uniformity. Perhaps too well. The full extent of wall decoration in my freshman college dorm was a medicine ball. My roommate's medicine ball. He was in good shape. He eventually went to West Point. And they probably would have liked me too, given that a lack of tasteful and soothing home furnishings is absolutely unnecessary.

Trying to conform a bit in sophomore year, I grabbed a handful of discarded B-movie posters from Blockbuster and slapped them on my walls. I was teased mercilessly, not to mention deservedly.

My condo was about 18 years old when I bought it. So was the living room paint. And it stayed that way all through the rest of my bachelordom. Aside from a smattering of quite tasteful family photos, there was nothing to distract the visitor from the yellowing white expanse. And still Dena married me. Heck maybe it was because of that, that she married me.

Now my home is admired by most all who visit it. Fresh, bold, rainbow colors are stippled throughout. Shapely, pleasing creative decor adorns every wall. Modest plant life and scented candles accent the experience. Bonus when she has a pot or a pan of something under construction in the kitchen.

This moxie for aesthetics is why I ask her opinion on the uniformity issue.

As you nearly exit the driveway, you'll see a unit overrun with flowers. The design is intentional and barely contained from splashing out onto the sidewalk. Nary an inch is spared. Statuary from the orient and the occasional wind chime complete the motif. Better Homes & Gardens magazine probably would not stop by to hand out an award, though Popular Science might do a story on the display's mind-boggling density.

In my mind, this is prime candidate #1 to be reigned in by uniformity rules - the line is too fine between "abundant" and "trashy." Dena disagrees. Individuality is good! Who wants to live in a place devoid of it?

There are times when disagreement is a beautiful thing. This is one of those times. Now when I drive by that unit, I see a boon to the community. I turn down the volume on the left side of my brain screaming against the mess. We're all deficient in something, and one of mine is artistic appreciation. So God gave me a live-in expert to complement life. Whether or not I'm rich, I can rest assured that I'll never be fashion-poor with Dena by my side!

No comments: