Sunday, June 27, 2010

Challenges And Mentoring

Q: What is your next big challenge?
A: I'm in the middle of the book "Eat, Pray, Love" where the author personifies loneliness and depression pictorially, as if they were a good and bad cop stalking and invading her mind, against her best efforts to lock them out. I'd say that anger's my stalker, one for which there are strong gates against that I'm slowly building.

Q: Do you remember anything you learned from your first job that you carry with you today?
A: Yes. Bring solutions, not problems! Everyone I know has enough unsolved problems already. It works extremely well in all phases of life. If nothing else, making a creative effort to devise a possible solution in advance at least shows that you care and are not just looking for business, physical or emotional handouts. Note: I think the author of "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus" would point excitedly to that as a characteristically male value. So since most of my bosses have been male, don't mistake my lesson as being any more important from this one: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Or this one: Listen more, speak less.

Q: When your back is against the wall, the odds are against you, and there seems to be no way out, what quality in you comes out?
A: Umm... see question number one. But not forever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me know what you think about EPL. I've got a date with joyce to go see it opening night! Can't wait!!