Thursday, June 10, 2010

High/Low, Week 21 2010

There's some joy and sadness in seeing Tyson move on to the next stage of his career. The week was all about wrapping up a few outstanding projects and working out the kinks of some recurring duties that will be in transition.

Tyson was my first actuarial student and first direct report younger than me. I'd wondered in my previous ten years how capable I'd be in leading someone like that. And thankfully, I was eased into the experience through the gift of a person oriented like me in several ways, with particular passion for training and organization. In addition, he has a world of interpersonal and technological smarts. Our journey of trial and error was not only developmental for him and me, but entirely enjoyable.

The satisfaction I feel is like a teacher seeing a student graduate to the next level. He moves on for more accomplishment and education from a model supervisor. And thankfully, he's not far away. The great leaders are persistent and humble, and it's been a privilege to be associated with one in the making!

No comments: