Thursday, June 10, 2010

Happiness As Tolerance

"As I look back on my life and think of all the people I've known, those who have been the least happy and the most hostile were those who couldn't see the two sides to an issue. Or they couldn't comprehend that someone else might see the world differently. Conversely, people who are able to see that the world is not always black and white and who understand that 'our way' is not the 'only way' are almost always the kindest, most tolerant, happiest, and easiest people to be around." - Richard Carlson

My knowledge of the conflict in Israel, or about the Crusades or Spanish Inquisition is too limited to comment. I'm not personally engaged in debates over homosexuality, welfare, communism, divorce, parenting styles or abortion. But my experience matches Carlson's. Except for matters of life and death (which admittedly have different definitions depending on the individual), I find more happiness in validating and supporting the way my family and friends choose to live their lives and hold their beliefs than to try to change them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If this were facebook, I'd press the 'like' button here :) How appropriate this week!