Friday, June 11, 2010

Spa Koru

Hidden Bloggers, if you want to live like those with cash to burn for a week, listen to what I have to say.

First, find your way to the neighborhood of Avon, North Carolina for a week. We arrived and departed on consecutive Saturdays.

Who wants to get soft? The Spa Koru popped up on my Google search for a fitness center. $50 for a week's membership. Most guys are more likely to take in the benefits of a spa/salon if it's attached to a gym (since it's more like a second tier of health rather than a special pampering trip), and the married couple that owns Koru got it right on that account. $85 for an hour massage. $50 for a pedicure.

I calculated that on Sunday I could stop in an pick up a week pass. I could do weights on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (on our way out of town, since it opens at 8:00). Cardio on the other days. Weight days could double conveniently as spa/salon days. So I called into an energetic and polished concierge who set up a massage on Sunday and pedicure for Thursday.

I'd had a chance to review the stylish web site and video tour of the facility, but still kept my expectations low, simply unsure of what to count on from a beach economy. And I'll spend the rest of this post raising your expectations, since I was overwhelmingly sold by what I found.

The five-year old facility exudes comfort befitting the afterlife. Immaculate in cleanliness. Modern in its marble-tiled, carpeted, and mahogany-furnished elements. Soothing music cascades everywhere but the fitness area, where upbeat music sets the atmosphere and televisions conveniently distract the mind from the exertions of the workout.

Nautilus, free weights, treadmills, elliptical machines and stretching areas abound in the spacious center, which is brightly festooned with windows and accessorized with drinking fountains and disinfectant wipes.

The locker rooms are luxuriously equipped. Self-programmable lockers secure belongings. Deep shower stalls feature not only shower gel, but shampoo and conditioner in separate bottles. A steam room awaits if desired. Large towels abound. How can you beat that convenience? All you need to bring is a fresh change of clothes.

The staff is decidedly young, fit, friendly, and enthusiastic. When I reported for my massage, the owner Tami led me cheerfully back to the special locker room just for spa participants. She led me to the robes, sandals, and snack-laden "relaxation room" with wicker furniture and a guest book (which, big surprise, I eventually loaded with well-wishes and thanks).

Kristin from Geneseo, NY was my massage therapist. She not only delivered a massage that had my muscles woozy from head to toe, but was fascinating in conversation. Turns out she's a spa owner herself, on summer sabbatical in the Outer Banks to relax and study the fitness center aspects of a spa. A fellow avid reader, she also shared a wealth of marketing tips for small business owners that had been profitable for her. I can hardly wait to share them with Dena and my therapist friends back home. And of course I had to schedule an encore massage before leaving!

The pedicure was similarly invigorating physically and socially. Again, the technician was on a summer adventure away from her normal job, which coincidentally in this case was in my field of life/health insurance. As an athlete, I appreciated the extra attention she gave to massaging and smoothing the soles (most technicians seem more devoted to the nails).

All of the staff members were quick to recommend places of interest on the island for visiting and dining. By week's end they were greeting me by name. And maybe the most convincing story started in failure, when I arrived for my Thursday appointment to learn that it had been inadvertently cancelled. As it turned out, the cancellation was due to an emergency for the scheduled technician. Still, with great apology they granted me a $10 discount off of my service. With the manager on the line, I took the opportunity to share my satisfaction in detail as I have with you all - and also to their Tripadvisor.com location for feedback.

It was an angelic experience. May you find the same!

No comments: