Friday, June 25, 2010

Grin And Cub It

I think I lucked out not seeing today's Cubs game, since my favorite Cub fan sent me a strongly-worded e-mail. I did some quick research to investigate their chances of making the playoffs (because baseball fans know that even creeping into the playoffs gives a decent chance of winning the World Series). While rummaging around on the ESPN site's statistics, I skimmed a headline talking about their ace pitcher being suspended due to a tirade. I'm guessing it wasn't a victory-induced tirade.

I believe that the Cubs were facing their crosstown rival White Sox. Now dig this. The Sox have a team batting average of .250. That means that it takes four at bats to get a hit. Not good in a game where there are only three outs to an inning. And guess what? They have won their last ten games in a row.

Now guess which Chicago team has the highest batting average?

Cub fans, rejoice. Surely a team batting .257 can win ten straight, if one hitting worse can. At that point their record would be over .500, the clubhouse would be tirade-free, and we'd be fresh off Independence Day.

Here we come!

No comments: