Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Fawlty Scam

I received an e-mail from Yahoo! informing me of an urgent update required. There were some suspicious clues though:

The title of "Yahoo Mail Update Required!!!" was more enthusiastic than any professional communication I've seen.

The sender was not Yahoo! but "Account Summary."

The Yahoo! logo embedded in the email lacked an exclamation point, which was amusingly ironic.

Capital letters were splashed throughout the note, as well as the threat of my "loosing" e-mail access, when the note was clearly about my risk of "losing" e-mail access and not unleashing e-mail access upon the world.

A sharp eye saved me lots of time and hassle of whatever consequences would've happened had I clicked on the e-mail's link. I used the time to answer another e-mail and make a $10,000 to help an African prince get a new kidney for his horse.

No comments: