Friday, July 4, 2008

Love Triangle

Phil Jackson won six championships with the NBA's Chicago Bulls using the famed "triangle offense." This offense, Jackson noted, "emphasizes cooperation and freedom, the very values I'd spent my life pursuing off the court and dreamed of applying to the game."

When asked to choose my favorite values, those two would probably rise near the top for me too -- freedom to do what makes life most enjoyable at any given moment, and cooperation (or maybe better, "harmony") with those around me. When values come into conflict, one is compromised. I could probably find a more exciting job somewhere, one with less pay and security, and therefore less freedom. So why? Excitement can be manufactured where it doesn't flow most naturally. Act excited -- become excited.

No comments: