Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Power of Balance

"He always talked about balance: body balance, scoring balance, team balance, and most of all, mental and emotional balance. Your feet have to be in balance. Your body has to be in balance over your feet. Your head needs to be in balance with your body and your arms. He said that if you're not in balance, you'll eventually fall over, and he meant it in more ways that one.

I came to see balance as one of the keys to success not only in basketball, but in life. When things get out of balance, it's generally not good. Everything needs balance. That one word he kept drilling at us - balance - has stuck with me, became important in how I try to do things." -- Gail Goodrich, former player of coach John Wooden

The term "overextended" is one I've used when I have too much going on with family, school, work or social responsibilities. Literally, a body that's overextended can be out of balance with the rest of it. Right now I'm active in Leadership McLean County, playing three intramural sports, blogging and playing guitar most nights. Work is satisfying, and stays at the office. Dena and I have time to date, and visit our families. Things feel in balance!

No comments: