Sunday, July 6, 2008

Oh Say, Can You Do?

"What you do counts for more than what you say. The things you hope to teach those under you are best taught by your own behavior - demonstration - whether it's the act of showing respect for others, being on time, shooting a free throw, or exercising self-control. Action speaks louder than words." -- John Wooden

This afternoon I pondered what to say to the "Services" team at work during our first meeting once I schedule it. As a person with some gift for words, it's easy to say just the right thing... and then promptly fail to deliver. So what are the truthful actions that they can expect from me, because I most always do them?

1. Smile. Whether through a joke, a reassurance, or -- just because I'm one of the luckiest guys alive.
2. Set goals. Ones with dates. Ones that are reasonable.
3. Seek to improve. The quality, the speed, or the cost.

No comments: