Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Teamwork Rocks

"One finger can't lift a pebble." -- Hopi Indian saying

We're in the midst of interviewing candidates for Leadership McLean County. Sometimes members of the team rank what they heard very differently. I once gave someone an interview score of 24 out of 25, and the rest of the group ranked her so low that she was borderline not qualifying. When we huddled up at the end to review, I requested - and got - her approval into the program. And truthfully, she did struggle to fit the mold of the typical class qualifier, showing up late and a bit too sleepy for class on multiple occasions. Had I picked the entire class based on my own opinion, it would have been a major disappointment, and it still was a little. The team's wisdom was better than my own. The real disappointment would have been not to learn that lesson. Sometimes we just have to let go.

No comments: