Saturday, July 12, 2008

What Are Your Pet Peeves?

That's the question that was posed to me by my new team at work. The "Manager Quick Start" program matches up a Human Resources representative with the team behind the safety of closed doors to go over some introductory questions. The resulting anonymous report showed interest from the group as to what my goals and my pet peeves were.

To be honest, the phrase "pet peeves" suggests to me some kind of righteous anger, which makes me a little uncomfortable, but I see the point they're getting at. What stresses me out? In other words, what kind of environments are a mismatch for me?

1. I'm an analytical guy who needs time to make decisions. So hasty decisions are in that category.

2. Closed-mindedness. It seems as if most every rule has an exception, every point a counterpoint, and two heads are almost always better than one whether talking business, politics, or spirituality. In the spirit of "maybe," ideas should be sought out, respected, and occasionally tried against one's better judgment.

3. Anger or pessimism. Americans are too blessed.

Any list like this could run much longer. Let's keep it short!

No comments: