Saturday, July 19, 2008

Two, Four, Six, Eight...

"I was conscientious about making those with less significant roles feel valued and appreciated. I singled out individuals who seldom saw the limelight - the player who made an assist on an important basket, a pivotal defensive play, or a free throw at a crucial moment in the game." -- John Wooden

On Wednesday I had my kick-off meeting with my new team at work. I am generally not a fan of 'expense management,' for the cheapness it implies. Instead, I ask for the constant search for improvement -- ways to do things better, or newly, from last year. When we find a way to automate something, to cut out a redundant step, or to simplify a complex process, it's a great reason to treat the innovators to lunch or a celebratory e-mail. And when 'expense management' rears its head as a fashionable statement every few years, it's comforting to point to the cost containment that's emerged naturally every year, thanks to the daily attention to the way we work.

No comments: