Sunday, February 15, 2009

Jeff Dunham

Valentine's Day for the McDonalds included comedian Jeff Dunham's show at the Coliseum in town. He proved himself to be an immensely talented ventriloquist with an incredible vocal range. My favorite character of his is Achmed the dead terrorist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go

This was quite a study in diversity too. I was amazed at the tremendous reaction of the crowd - over 10,000 strong between two shows that day - to a heavy dose of comedy that channeled the mind of a 13-year-old:

- High-pitched squealing over and over in an attempt to annoy
- Farting (and various other bathroom humor) jokes
- Sexual innuendo
- Ethnic slurs about Native Americans, Indians, Southerners, African Americans, and the Chinese
- Punchlines consisting mostly of profanity

It's good to know that if I'm ever in a tight spot I've a decent chance of easing the tension with a little cursing about my private parts in a foreign accent!

The guy did do some great ad-libbing when the crowd cried out a few times. That's a big part of stand-up comic genius, I think, and why my sweet spot is in play writing instead of being on the big stage.

No comments: