Thursday, February 26, 2009

Moore Power To Us

Yesterday afternoon I had the pleasure of meeting with the CEO of the McLean County Chamber of Commerce, Charlie Moore. A self-described "purpose-driven guy" is the type of person who gets things done, and I was also glad to hear him describe consensus-building as a strength of his. He is also a fountain of ideas and told me more than once that it's a challenge for him to "shut up." He was frank with me about his perceptions of Leadership McLean County and I was glad to see his passion about it. Next year will not be "business as usual" for the program - as one example he puts priority upon clear budgets, knowledge that I think we'll all enjoy having. He does intend to be more present with LMC which has potential to be a powerful asset. While it'll take a little more time for me to determine whether or not I'll be a good team member for Charlie, the conversation conjured up the personal importance I place on listening as a leader. Sometimes the more I think I know, the more I put my foot in my mouth. Group think has its own peril, and the wise leader can tell when to tend the rudder and get things back on track, but I swelled up with satisfaction earlier this week to sit in on a couple of my team's meetings at work and listen to ideas flow with increasing excitement. High-functioning team members feel like owners, not slaves.

No comments: