Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Back To The Future

I'd cleared my work calendar today (thereby cramming tomorrow's birthday chock full of meetings) in order to have a minor cosmetic procedure to eliminate a benign cyst on my back. Hidden Bloggers know that I am not generally an early riser, but I awoke at 6:30 so as to get to the doctor's office by 7:30. And when the doctor came in, she said that the stitches would be in for about ten days. When I told her that I was heading to North Carolina for a week of vacation in ten days, she pointed out that some supplementary stitching would also be typical after the first ones were removed. Being so far from care, and noting also that a week of sun exposure or doing much of anything active could expand and darken the scar, I decided to postpone the surgery a few months.

Could the nurse have told me these things months ago when I scheduled the surgery? Sure. But I really didn't feel too much angst as this was happening, which in turn made me feel even better about "Mr. Positive" emerging this year. Lemons make lemonade. It's a beautiful sunny day with a prevailing breeze so I just converted the sick leave to vacation; I also now have all summer to continue working out without endangering the recovery process. Time to apply a little sunscreen, grab a new book, and engage in some rest and renewal!

No comments: