Monday, May 11, 2009

The R Word

"As far as I'm concerned, I regret nothing." - Miyamoto Musahi

I mostly like the attitude there, the ability to close the mind like a chest of drawers to ills of the past and move on instantly. I could see where there could be some controversy though.

Like Nathan Hale, the American Revolutionary War patriot, famous for the line "I regret that I have but one life to live for my country." If he'd instead stood at the gallows before his hanging and uttered the line "I regret nothing," he probably wouldn't have been designated the official state hero of Connecticut in 1985.

Newspaper editors would aggravate more than a few readers. Which inspires more confidence to you?

"Monday's edition reported that Pastor Jack Smith was 'annoyed by his congregation.' In fact he said, 'annointed by his congregation.' We regret the error."

"Monday's edition reported that Pastor Jack Smith was 'annoyed by his congregation.' In fact he said, 'annointed by his congregation.' So there. He was expelled at an impromptu council meeting the next day anyway, so we probably shouldn't even have wasted the ink here."

No comments: