Saturday, May 9, 2009

Cleaning The Vacuum

"In an utter emptiness anything can take place." - John Cage

I think instantly of those occasional 3:00 a.m. starts from sleep where my mind is a blend of dreamful confusion and vaguely relevant reality.

"Ohhh, tomorrow I've just GOT to finish washing my boss's car or I'll never see my dad again!"

"I can't believe I forgot to divorce Wang Zhu before marrying Dena. What happens now?"

Sometimes in those moments though, the vacuum of the dreamless mind starts sucking in the images of problems that, of course, can't possibly be solved in the middle of the night. In the helplessness and fatigue of the blackness, challenges that seem harmless enough by the light of day grip the mind with the ferocity of a rabid pit bull. When that happens, I'll sometimes get out of bed and grab a magazine to force my head full of more interesting thoughts until sleep overcomes.

Regardless of the time of day, we have control over what feeds our mind. Garbage in, garbage out... sunshine in, sunshine out.

No comments: