Thursday, May 21, 2009

Star Trek

A friend of mine showed her interest in seeing Star Trek, saying that friends told her that it was good even for non-Trekkies. So I cashed in my birthday wish with my science-fiction-neutral wife and we headed out with five other people to see a Wednesday evening showing. Not five other people that we knew... I'm just saying that there were five other people in the theater. Including two guys who struck me as boyhood chums from the 1960's reliving their youth. These wayward rebels with their glasses, bald spots, shorts and tennies actually... put their feet up on the seats. The 60's must have been a wild time.

I digress. The picture was two hours of nonstop awesome action! Dena might have loved it even more than me. An cast member from the original T.V. who you'd all know was a key player. Earth is in trouble. Families broken, heroic, and saved; romance in surprising places. The casting was great - similarities to the original characters abounded (at least, from my non-Trekkie memory of seeing an episode or two). And Captain Kirk was impulsive, witty, and at times slapstick, which made for some healthy doses of comic relief to break up the action.

If you're a non-Trekkie, see it in the theater just to enjoy the full screen effect and catch a good adventure film that just so happens to be set in outer space.

No comments: