Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Chicago Cub Fans In McLean County

Dena introduced me to a site called Meetup.com where you can search for people with similar interests and form a meet-in-person group. This was too blogworthy to pass up, so I formed a group dedicated to Chicago Cub fans who live nearby. Meetup.com requires a small monthly payment in order to organize a site like this, and also requires you to "pledge" that the group will meet in person. Not a problem in the short run... as the only member I'm constantly meeting with myself. Fortunately, it's free for anyone else to join now. The premise I came up with is that we'll chat about the Cubs via message board until they make the playoffs (Cardinal fans, note that I said "until" and not "if"), then we'll meet in person to cheer them on in a game. Tentatively I picked the Normal Theater as a meeting place. Somehow I'll bet it'll hold us all more than comfortably.

The site's now included in my favorites to the left. Here's entry #1:

"Each season's as exciting as a new car, and we've had a month to test drive this year's edition of the Cubs. What are the biggest surprises so far?

1. Rich Harden's ERA is 5.11.
2. St. Louis is in 1st place, 2.5 games ahead of us.
3. Most RBI's: Theriot, Fontenot, and Fukudome.
4. Ted Lilly's .200 batting average tops Geovany Soto's and Milton Bradley's.
5. Cubs have given up the most runs in the NL Central.
6. Other?"

No comments: