Saturday, May 23, 2009

Commanding Too Far Down

"A general should command one echelon [level] down, and know the position of units two echelons down... It has been my observation that any general officer who violates this rule and at, let us say, that Army level, shows the location of battalions, starts commanding them and loses his efficiency." - George Patton

In modern parlance, don't micromanage! Earlier in my career, I would sit in on conversations involving a first-line supervisor and a difficult employee. I wanted to show personal interest, but I came to realize in time that I wasn't adding value by doing so. In later years, I'd get updates on similar situations as if I was listening to the evening news. Very rarely did they need my help. In fact, my absence had the unintended bonus of leaving me available as an impartial counselor for employees who needed a fresh set of ears to listen to their situation. And meanwhile my time was generally free to focus on other activities to lead the department.

No comments: