Monday, November 8, 2010

Extremely Local Mechanic Quashes Saturn Monster

For years I've taken my cars to be repaired at the Saturn dealership, until there was no longer such a place. Driving to the dealership would carry me past a slew of auto shops within walking distance of my home. Clay Dooley Tire and Auto. Midas Muffler and Brake. Stephens Auto Glass. Speed Lube. It's like living in Las Vegas and going out of town to play bingo.

I waited sufficiently long for my neighbors to wake up before awakening the beast that my car had rather suddenly become over the weekend. I chose my mechanic using the same method I once used to choose a church - picked the closest one. Meineke opened at 7:30, and I popped in to find Ken standing in the doorway. Ken has the kindly look of Captain Kangaroo. "Heard you coming," he said with the warm smile of a favorite grandfather.

"Shouldn't take long, want to wait?" he said. Soon he had the car up on the lift, and beckoned me under as though he were teaching me the business. He pointed to a pipe that had ruptured and a heat shield that was loose (the same problem experienced by Apollo 13, as I recall). Then he began spouting phrases as if his sole purpose for waking up was to make my day.

"I'll be done in an hour. You can pick it up anytime. It'll be... eighty bucks."

An hour later, the streets were tame once again. And I'm left to seriously consider doing more shopping at Jeffrey Alan's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, the beast is no longer the beast...Congrats on the repair!

And yes, Jeff Alans has a GREAT candle section!!