Sunday, August 24, 2014

Back In Shape: The Week In Thanks

It was another one of those leisurely weekends when I just felt like staying up late to watch many episodes of "Dexter." With an average bedtime of 3 a.m. the last two nights, I'm thankful for my flexible work hours. I can also say that I've satisfied my Dexter fix for a while, having run through the end of season 4 with a somewhat shocking character departure.

I also like the freedom that a new-computer battery gives me. I thought the display was wrong the first time I saw it at 100% after ten minutes. I'd just assumed that laptops lost about one percent of power every minute or so, like my old one. It allows me to nestle into bed (or couch) and play online Scrabble or fantasy baseball without disturbing Dena's sleep.

My hours will be filling up slowly. I currently have six students, and inquiries in from two others. My hours at Heartland are down to 6 this semester which gives me more hours to dream up other stuff like inventing fliers to post around the ISU campus.

Speaking of ISU, Tuesday will be my debut as a teacher this century for them (did a two-year stint as an undergrad). While visiting my old academic hangout Stevenson Hall to prep for this week, I ran into none other than my favorite calculus professor Mike Plantholt. He's the one who answered some questions for me about IRA's; I bought one, and still own it, and it's done quite well.

At long last I am back in the weight room three days a week doing upper body exercises. The elbow continues to hold steady, probably 99% healthy which is plenty. The wisdom of not overexercising has helped keep the growing pains in check. Plus I'm armed (no pun intended) with an arsenal of stretches to keep me loose.

Oh, and I have Aleve. My back started crying while I was holding Cupcake on Friday, so it was time to pop the anti-inflammatories and ride out the storm. NSAID's are a great umbrella for a physical rainy day, until the storm blows over.

Our new condo neighbor moved in this week, and got hassled by another neighbor who was displeased with the driveway blockage caused by the moving truck. Both Dena and I, after returning from errands, and without each other's knowledge had the same impulse to drop by and introduce ourselves later in the day. It shows why we're so good for each other; sensitive souls with strong impulses to be welcoming.

Dena also maintained the tradition of keeping our home interesting to live in, buying some new curtains and lights that give off a warm glow. She's no spendaholic but does just enough to keep things fresh.

Got to - GOT to - be thankful for air conditioning this weekend. I got back from a run dripping so torrentially that I had to head straight for the shower without stopping. A cold shower wasn't enough to keep some sweat from recurring after the shower. It's hot. Brutally, sappingly so, without AC.

Digging the FIFA14 scouting staff feature. I snapped up a couple of outstanding players to fill some lineup holes even better than before, which is why we're still undefeated this season in league and tournament play. Meanwhile, for at least an hour, I'm in first place in one of my fantasy baseball leagues.

I'm that age where near-term vision should be faltering, but it hasn't begun for me yet. My only problem this year, if you can call it that, was one eye's vision improving.

Today the church was more packed than usual due to the return of college students and the sponsoring of the church's annual "fellowship luncheon." Big crowd to lead musically, and free food. Can't beat it!

No comments: