Sunday, August 31, 2014

Winning With Respect

I've been the treasurer of our condominium association for 12 years. As the guy who collects your monthly condominium fees, there are occasions where I'm treated like a merciless dictator.

No one likes to be accused of lying, "railroading," "screwing someone over," etc. or being threatened to call an attorney.

As Carnegie says, the best way to win an argument is to avoid it.

I explained why the overdue amount couldn't be negotiated downward. Offered to set up a special meeting with the condo board. Agreed with the idea to involve the attorney so that things could be further explained.

I genuinely hate to be the bearer of bad news. I am willing to take personal abuse without fighting back, except with continued respect. I like to think that the version of the person attacking my integrity was only a temporary one, not the genuine person but one put into an unusual financial situation. We're still neighbors. We're still human family. We win with respect.

No comments: