Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Big Stones For Jesus

Here's the vision statement of Eastview Christian Church, the largest in our twin cities:

"Eastview Christian Church is a fearless church of Christ followers whose ridiculous love and dangerous witness are irresistible."

Admittedly, when I first read this I then went searching for Al Qaeda's mission statement due to the risky, almost seductive edge to it, wondering if they might have drawn some inspiration for the daring language.

After several minutes of meticulous research, I am pleased to report that Al Qaeda does not have a home page.

I also skimmed around for Jonestown and Branch Davidian pages, to no avail. That satisfied me both intellectually and, since Dena attends regularly, personally that I was safe the perils that Kool-Aid and car bombs might have to offer a zealous follower in achieving Fearless Dangerous Witness certification.

Then I realized that I may just have ridiculed them, inching them closer to the dream. I couldn't resist!

Truthfully though, I've met enough Eastview members to know that they represent the best colors of our community as well as anyone. They're sincere, focused, driven, caring, serving. And undeniably bold by their provocative vision, in a way that can embolden existing members beyond more cautious wording of most other churches, and pique the interest of the "unchurched" seeking something different.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Congratulations to Eastview on their king-sized stones and infectious success in leading people toward the finest values of the Bible.

No comments: