Sunday, August 31, 2014

Fresh Paint: The Week In Thanks

The night's got humidity, but it's still plenty comfortable for Cupcake and I to take a walk around the yard without giving a thought to the idea of long sleeves or pants. Summer is the season I cherish most of all, and two months into it, plan to make the most of the fair-weather days we have left.

Slowly Cupcake's getting her mojo back, after going through a phase where she was timid about going outside, and then scampering blindly for the front door at the first sight of anything that moved. She's climbing fences, strutting confidently around. Maturing, as they say.

It's Dena's birthday month, so we are flooded with coupons from outfits that have birthday programs. One night this week we ate at local favorite Tobin's pizza. One day we had a free slice of double-chocolate cake at Avanti's. Tonight it was free eats at Subway. We topped it off with Blizzards at DQ, and then watched Wayne's World on Netflix. I guess you could say it was a bit of Sentimental Sunday.

Dena involved me in the decision as to which shade of gray (no jokes here, please) to repaint the basement, and she's been splashing away at it ever since. I'm a lucky guy to be married to someone with a reigniting passion for redecorating. It keeps things fresh.

When I joined the band at Epiphany, I wondered if Jennifer and Sean would have to stop leading once their son was born. Nope. Now they're expecting a girl. So guess what? They decided to double the number of days that we play. This is a committed couple, willing to sacrifice for the craft. It's a good example to have.

This week went so well teaching. Heartland went smoothly, ISU was fun, and I'm up to seven private students which is on par with last year. NCHS hasn't called for substitute teaching, but that's on the horizon.

The Cubs are within 5 games of moving out of last place in their division! With all their exciting September call-ups, they can do it.

I'm thankful for Wal-Mart. They've taken cost-cutting to a new level that sets the pace for American retailers.

Jack and I have the kind of relationship where we trip over each other with kindness trying NOT to be cutthroat in competing in our fantasy baseball league. We get along, and that's cool.

I'm fairly sure there is something crawling around in our condo attic which is shared with three other units. I'm thankful that the only sign of it is occasional odor. I'm triply thankful that there is no direct access from the attic into our unit. I'm thankful that Orkin exists if the problem persists. I have to marvel that the biggest problem in my life right now is the occasional unpleasant smell of an unseen creature.

Tomorrow when I wake up it will be a federal holiday, a new month (so a fresh pair of contacts), a clean summer day for a run, a handsomely painted basement, a cookout, a Skype with Mom and Jack. Maybe a few dominant games of FIFA14 as well.

So blessed.

No comments: