Saturday, August 9, 2014

Gradual Improvement: The Week In Thanks

The Cornbelters game was a fun time, and the home team winning in dramatic fashion was an unexpected bonus. I ran into owner Steve Malliet while I was there, a friend I'm fortunate to have made not only through the Chamber of Commerce, but also through a small group at Eastview Christian Church. In a time when even the Catholic church seems to be shrinking in America, it's heartening to have a growing ministry like Eastview's, which also reaches out beyond the town's borders to help others.

Dad Freidinger's birthday was a dinner celebration at the Chanticleer restaurant in Eureka, followed by ice cream and cake at his house. We also celebrated niece Kelsey's impending trip to college. Meanwhile, sis-in-law Kristin and Kurt are closing in on their first child. Happy family makes for... happy family.

Physical therapy on the knee is slowly turning for the better, after I laid down some hard truths in front of the staff and got an every-session regular therapist to focus on me.

I've got my eye on the next musical I plan to audition for, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Fortunately, it's entirely on YouTube and I've been able to start transcribing the script and running a playlist of songs.

I picked up a new MacBook Air computer after yielding to the air that's figuratively been seeping out of the tires of my old MacBook over the last six years. I've never been so cutting edge technologically; I'm seeing it on commercials too. I've only just learned that computers can hold a charge for ten hours at a time. It's why I'm able to type this post while unplugged, sitting on the coffee table and watching the pilot episode of Dexter on Netflix.

I'm glad that I live in a culture of quiet. For example, when a child is running up and down the aisle at Community Players during a musical, it's seen as an exception to the rule. When a baby cries in church, etiquette drives the parent to take it outside. There are places where chaos is normal. Fortunately, not where I'm trying to listen.

Friends are finding new homes. Chris Terven. Sean and Jennifer Stevens. Shelby Miller. Samm Bettis. It's exciting.

Cupcake gets cuter every week. Lately we've been discovering hide-and-seek. She loves to stalk and be stalked. She'll pop out and leap at me but without her claws exposed.

I've gotten way better at FIFA soccer on the PS4 during the first week. Rallied into third place at the end of my first season. Started season two undefeated through the first 10 games. Right into my comfort zone.

School starts in two weeks. Gonna enjoy each of these last unoccupied summer days!

No comments: