Sunday, August 10, 2014

Birthday Blessings: The Week In Thanks

It's been a quiet, ideal summer for tutoring, and this week some exciting things happened. I was offered a chance to substitute teach an actuarial math class at ISU by the director of the actuarial science program. Those two weeks of subbing present a great opportunity to serve. I've also started to get some students trickling in for the new semester.

I am sitting here chomping my teeth with nothing in my mouth. Why? Because the root canal that I had on Thursday has, at least for this moment, relieved all the pain that had been lingering in my mouth for over a year and a half. It's probably too early to declare myself healed, but I am savoring every moment of this sensation while it lasts. I am officially a fan of endodentistry!

Last week I had a hard talk with the physical therapists about my knee. Now my knee is slooowly starting to show signs of improvement. Delivering a message of conflict is never fun, but often the right thing to do. In this case, everybody is winning as a result.

I've enjoyed these summer-cloudy days. There's enough humidity to give it a comfortable feel, while the wind rushes through my car cruising down Vernon Avenue. Midwesterners always need to give thanks for any day when they can wear shorts without a second thought.

YouTube is a gift to us all. This week I've used it to preview the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels musical. To watch comical videos. To learn some exercises. To listen to music in the shower.

Msgr. Eric Powell is the pastor at Epiphany Church. He just won an award for schools:

http://www.cdop.org/post/PostArticle.aspx?ID=2748

I've enjoyed his personable nature from the pulpit (or actually, from in front of the pulpit, as he's one of those preachers who can do so without notes). He's the type who looks for ways to make things better and has no hint of being full of himself. Hidden Bloggers I'm not a deeply church-connected person, but even from a distance I'm glad that our lives are intersecting during my time in the band. He sets an upbeat tone for an appreciative congregation.

Finally, it's a day of extra celebration as Dena's birthday. Dena's presence in my life is a highlight of I could repeat every week. She loves and supports me in all of my adventures and failings. I am blessed!

No comments: