Sunday, August 17, 2014

Cruising And Musing: The Week In Thanks

Cheers for Father Powell, who flashed his humble gift of quick wit again today in Mass. The young lector accidentally began to read the day's Gospel instead of the Old Testament passage. Quicker than those of us settling into the pews, Father piped up, "Hey you don't get to do that one, that one's for me," inspiring a wave of giggles throughout the congregation. Words and tone mean a lot in human relationships, and he has a way of saying things that are centered in love.

It's a new semester which brings with it the exciting possibilities of the unknown. How many students will I meet, how many times will I be called upon to substitute teach, what new relationships will be formed? I've found that I have just 6 hours in the Heartland tutoring lab this semester, spread over two days, which I find enjoyable. I was also invited to serve as a mentor for a new tutor this semester, an honor to be treasured.

I was discharged from physical therapy for the knee, and my root canal has continued to hold up strongly. I feel as good as in a year. I made my way out to the gym for a total-body workout for the first time since last September. Now that I better understand my own body, I can prevent further injury.

Dena spent most of Saturday and Sunday doing graphic design projects for others. In one case, a gentleman was getting on a plane this morning, so she charged herself to get something for him to proof by the end of Saturday night. It's such a privilege to have such a devoted and selfless person next to me!

Aren't we lucky that God gave us memory? Every new semester I don't have to re-teach myself math in order to teach it. I don't have to think about many of the songs at church, they just flow from deep within my neural pathways. The power of the mind opens up so much potential for people to use their time for other things.

I watch a lot of true crime shows, so it's time for a shout out to forensic science. They can catch a criminal from a single hair left behind. Doesn't that make us all safer?

FIFA soccer on the PlayStation is a blast. I'm shooting for my second consecutive undefeated season, and relishing the challenges of keeping up the morale of individual players using the general manager  mode that even lets me hold press conferences. Such a far cry from Atari Home Run baseball which consisted of three blobs chasing a little square "ball" around the "diamond."

On that note sometimes I think I'd have liked to have been born 20 years later than I was, for better technology. But on the whole, probably not. My State Farm career intertwined with the legendary systems analyst Cynthia Garrison and the last era of adequately trained computer programmers in the Life Company. The next generation faces a mountain of inefficiency to climb just to keep the wheels on. Meanwhile I was able to pump money into a low-priced economy for 15 years, and riding the recovery is going to be a dream retirement.

I met someone today at church who was just named the president of the local chapter of a national mental health association. Thank goodness there are people with the heart for helping those who suffer from poor mental health, and their families as well.

A friend of mine had a bad week, and we shared about that the previous Sunday. Today when we talked he commented that he'd placed his troubles into God's care, and this week had been much better. Regardless of someone's religious affiliation, the power of faith (in anything) to lift spirits is one of God's true gifts.

I'm into season 3 of Dexter. It's a story with a protagonist - yes, protagonist - who is a serial killer. I can't put into words how they make him so likable. I'm just glad it's there. Just like Saturday Night Live, which always puts merry thoughts in my head as I'm drifting off to sleep.

On behalf of my friends out job hunting, I'm glad that it's so simple to do online.

Lastly, I'm happy for mildly cloudy gray days in the summer. It takes the edge off the direct heat while still offering the warmth of the season, and the tease of fresh rain. It's perfect for cruising down Veterans Parkway with the windows down. We ought to have plenty of it in town this week.

No comments: