Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Close But Still A Cigar

The freshman basketball team came in 2nd in the championship game tonight. I'm being watchful for the 5 stages of grieving.

Denial - Skipped that one. Yep, we lost and it was our own fault.

Anger - You know, I do feel a churning inside. Is that anger? I came home and gave Dena a big hug. Do angry people do that? Seems like there should've been a weapon involved. I don't think I ever got angry.

Bargaining - You mean I missed a chance to try to bribe the other team?

Depression - Oh now this one might be more on the mark. But I've been much closer, and I know that when I'm depressed I have no motivation to do blog posts. Especially when I still haven't had dinner and it's 11:00 at night.

Acceptance - Well, what do you know? I think I made it before bedtime! That is, unless I'm in denial. If you see a ranting post tomorrow, please forgive me. And be ready to cash in on a sweet bargain.

In seriousness though, the coaches' post game speech tonight about right attitude and conduct is probably as responsible for this as anything. Coaches Goldman, Short and Witzig laid down the law about what a winner does and doesn't do. And winning coaches cut players with bad attitudes, even if it means more losses on the court. If I'd had a recorder going I'd have enough snippets of wisdom to last me a hundred ringtones. How did I get so lucky to become part of this?

No comments: