Thursday, January 7, 2010

Rooster Brain

This morning I stirred awake at about 6:30, then made my way to my phone. This is because my work has an automated messaging service during inclement weather that announces any facility closures. It turns out that our start time is delayed until 10 a.m. this morning.

I thought, "A couple hours more sleep today."

My brain didn't see it that way.

Have you ever had your brain on hyperdrive while your body tries to rest, firing from one topic to another in a feverish attempt to be productive? Some part of my consciousness tries to calm it down... "Hey man, be cool, there's nothing that needs our attention right now. That meeting you had yesterday is over with. The game isn't for another two days. Yeah, that book you're reading is going to be fun... but how about we think about that in a few hours, when it's not black outside and we're away from this comfy bed? Relax, relax..." But like a crowing rooster, the brain is determined to stay busy. The best remedy I've found is to engage it, like a child that thinks it wants something desperately, then quickly tires of it, and we can fall back asleep.

This particular morning, though, I'd gotten about six hours of sleep already which was enough that the rest of my body decided to follow my brain's lead and get productive. Like spending a cozy morning with Hidden Bloggers!

No comments: