Thursday, January 7, 2010

I.V. Drip

I make a point of drinking about 100 ounces of water a day, or more depending on how much if any I've exercised. Usually I fill a 32-oz. mug at work and drink one in he morning, refill in the afternoon, and then fill a bottle at home to cover the rest.

Maybe it's because of my stage in life, but small things like monitoring my water intake are part of the "machine" view of my body that's helped me feel healthier in recent years. Too much makes me more sluggish, too little leaves me weaker and noticeably slower/tired mentally. Each body's different, but recently I've found that I do well by running water through it steadily throughout the day. Unlike a car, dumping in a bunch at once is overload, pouring through so fast that much of it goes unabsorbed. So recently I've been limiting my sips to about 5-10 at a time, gradually, like an I.V. drip at the hospital.

Maybe this view is all wet. But like many other things, there's a real psychological benefit as long at it's rational to me and I feel a sense of accomplishment in the discipline - however minor - of sticking with it. And tiny adjustments that feel like improvements are part of the "growth" and "purpose" I mentioned earlier this week that, for me, keep life feeling well-lived.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you. Forget voice acting. I see IV bag police watcher in your future! Bromenn might be hiring!

All joking aside, you're post is 100% correct. Some evenings I think to myself, why am I so hungry? Why do I feel 'icky' (for lack of a better term)? Then I look back on the day and remember I hardly took the time to make sure I drank enough water.