Tuesday, January 5, 2010

If The Shoe Fits...

...then your skin will be fine!

Years ago while playing basketball in a new pair of shoes I came to a sudden stop, which jammed the big toenail so hard that it took about ten years to fully recover to health. Ever since then I've been careful about picking the right length of 10.5!

I've had back-to-back experiences with Avia running shoes where my heel rubbed through the felt in the back, exposing a metal framing that cut my skin open. My last pair was less than a year old when it happened! Nothing saps the satisfaction of a good run like the discovery of a bloody sock.

Recently, the tread had worn on the old basketball shoes so I grabbed a new pair of Nikes. Just the right length, of course, but by the end of the second hour of playing I had a massive blister on each little toe!

So today when I went to Kohl's to buy some new running shoes I first tested a couple different brands to see if the rear of the shoe had any steely feel to it. Nike felt the safest. Then I compared it against a New Balance shoe and found the New Balance to be a good half centimeter wider! (Mental note: Blistered toes are excellent devices for gauging shoe-crampedness).

Before today, I wouldn't have guessed that I have a wider than average foot (who would look at me and guess that I have a wide anything?). But out of curiosity I measured it at 4.5 inches, good for an "E" width:

http://shoes.about.com/od/fitcomfort/ss/measurefeet_5.htm

So tonight I'm not only equipped with information for healthy feet forevermore, but I got a chance to walk 3 miles in my new, perfect fit shoes. Ahhhh....

No comments: