Sunday, January 24, 2010

High/Low Week 3 2010

Yet another week goes by where the lowest is still not so low, but that's the point of the resolution isn't it? Accountability keeps a person in line. The thought of this weekly post has helped me keep my cool when the temperature starts to rise.

I've been trying to dive into a project at work for the last couple of weeks. The project will impact our agency force more so than any of my other projects. And as usual, a dozen other priorities older than this one call for attention, some of which are fundamental to the health of our team.

As I stood outside my boss's office waiting for him to arrive for a meeting, one of the managers over this project walked by and without stopping said "So, you got all the problems of this project solved?"

I'm not a pushy person, and I struggle to respect pushiness. The question was an enigma: Did she really think that, if I'd finished such an important assignment, that I wouldn't have told her by now? Or is it a most indirect way of criticizing the fact that I am not finished? A question like this, from my view, does little to benefit the company, and serves as a withdrawal from the bank of trust in our working relationship.

Still, in the fleeting moment I gave it the best benefit of the doubt that I could, taking it as an attempt at a joke. My reply was a lilting "Suuure," as if playing along.

It's possible that the literally two second conversation vaporized from her mind. But being the reflective sort, I imagine it's possible that she read that comment as indifference which could've exasperated any undercurrent of frustration she may already be carrying. Regardless, the most dismaying aspect personally was speaking too quickly, out of the temptation to provide an instant response. Haste makes waste, and in this case I uttered something unproductive at best, and counterproductive at worst. Sometimes silence is golden! I'm just thankful that my nature in relationships is to ponder first, rather than to react.

And among the highlights of the week are:

- The basketball team won its rematch against Central Catholic, who played us tight a couple of weeks ago but we handled by 14 points to kick off the Bloomington tournament. Most satisfying was the fact that I specifically drilled in practice some techniques to open up space for our post players, in response to their defensive strategy from last time, and they worked like a charm! We dominated down low. I imagine this same kind of warm feeling washes over a teacher whose pupils finally master multiplication tables or subject-verb agreement.

- We finally got a chance for a cozy dinner outing with our friends Josh and Jenny. Ideas have bubbled up over the years, but always in a large group setting. Being a small group guy, the trip to the Goodfield Barn II dinner theatre was a perfect occasion to enjoy each other's company.

- My stamina on the basketball court keeps improving thanks to my exercise regimen and diet! Some of the hustle plays I was able to make on the offensive and defensive ends were great signs that my legs are getting stronger and quicker.

- Dena and I are well on our way toward my resolution of tracking expenses better. And pleasantly, they've been coming in right about at the level that we'd projected them to in our retirement plan.

No comments: