Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tribes

National Basketball Association Hall of Famer Bill Russell frequently spoke of "tribes" in relating to people as a means of accepting conflict, as in "he was from his tribe, I was from mine." As a black man growing up in the 1930's and 1940's, "tribe" might conjure up images of Native Americans or jungle societies. But perhaps we could each identify a "tribe" to which we belong. What does "tribe" suggest? Something we're born into? The influence of the culture in which we're raised? The likes and dislikes that emerge from our biological nature? I take it to mean the commonalities we share with some and not with others, and the groups that we call home. I'm a suburban, small-family man who loves logic, creativity, freedom, order, teaching, public speaking and athletics. I may not draw myself toward those who are much different, but I believe that there are nearly as many right ways to live as there are people on the planet. And I love that there are so many other tribes to live among. It brings life to a whole new level of interesting!

No comments: