Saturday, January 23, 2010

Golden Memories

I was talking with my good friend and he was describing some business training meeting about car stereos for his job as an insurance claim adjuster.

"Why do they have to train you about car stereos?" I asked. So that when the burglarized insured points to the huge gap next to the dashboard and asks to replace "the um... uh... shoot what is that thing again... ah this is so FRUSTRATING!" then you can save the day with your impressive recall of basic car anatomy?

"No, no," my friend said. "It's so that if, like, a customer tries to claim that he had such-and-such stereo that was... made out of gold, or something... then I could say 'No, actually that model is made out of thus-and-such.'"

I pondered the image. "You know, I think I'd like to have a gold car stereo."

"Well... maybe not," he replied pensively. "I think the heat that builds up could melt the thing. Wait... does gold melt?"

"Oh, no," I said, a big smile spreading across my face. "I'm pretty sure that gold coins are just naturally that way in the wilderness."

We both launched into a laugh-snickering mix, and it kept coming.

"I mean, thank God that when they're down in the African mines and they find the stuff, it just happens to have pictures of Abraham Lincoln stamped into it."

[Note: Yeah, pennies aren't made of gold. But roll with me here.]

No comments: