Sunday, December 19, 2010

Happy

Months ago Jack wrote a two-chord refrain that simply said "Happy... happy..." It drips with irony because it's simple strumming of A minor and E minor over and over with a kind of gloomy listlessness. Full appreciation can't be gained unless you actually hear it, but we did go ahead and write up a full set of lyrics today.

Everything is going well.
Remarkably well.
Fate is on my side.
How can I describe.
This feeling inside.

Refrain: Happy... happy... happy... happy... hmmm...

Roof stopped leaking.
Truck runs again.
Taxes refunded.
Dog came home.

(Refrain)

Generally respected,
Within my peer group.
Cholesterol count meets
Acceptable standards.
A hard days work pays
Adequate wage.
Neighbors regard me as
Quiet but safe.
Family grants me the
Benefit of the doubt.

(Refrain)

Shotgun mishap...
Death row...
Pardoned...
Paroled...
Repeat offender...
Got away...

(Refrain)

The air raid sirens
Were just a mistake.
The pain in my shoulder
Was a sprain not a break.
The cattle rustler
Missed all of my cows.
The recent tornado
Hit the neighboring house.
My ankle was bit
By a venomless snake.
My woman just served me
A gristle-free steak.

(Refrain)

No comments: