Sunday, December 12, 2010

High/Low Weeks 48 & 49

Sin's a hard word to define, but I get it when they say that pride's a sin. On one hand, I mentioned a four-hour meeting the other day that was buoyed to success. Credit for that couldn't go to myself, but to the wonder of good and undeserved fortune. Yet, in the waning minutes of that meeting there was discussion about another upcoming deadline. January 15 was stated at the date. I looked him in the eye and flatly declared "That's not going to happen." Now what was THAT? Just the opposite of the principles of teamwork, the greater good, the very qualities Hidden Bloggers see expressed here regularly. But alas, I was feeling foolishly powerful by the unexpected success, and promptly splashed it all over the floor. What could've been said instead? Perhaps "Could you clarify what you're actually expecting to be delivered on that date?" Or "Could you walk me through the reasoning behind that choice?" Or even "Perhaps we could talk about that after the meeting." Predictably, my comment stirred up a tizzy with these representatives from the other department. After the meeting, I called this gentleman and apologized for my lack of helpfulness during the meeting. Then we had the conversation that should've transpired in the first place. Word to the cocky: Listen, don't speak!

We are nearing the midway point of what has become the busiest work month of the year. For a while I had an appointment hour that was quadruple-booked with invitations from co-workers to attend various meetings. In the midst of it...

...Rob was able to complete our recurring monthly reports
...Tina's team pitched in to get some crucial data checked for another unit, while keeping afloat our daily work
...Tina mobilized a team to correct an out-of-date reference guide
...Jennifer cranked out bunches of tax formulas we needed
...Paulette made progress in modernizing our work log
...Tyson finished his final paper to obtain his fellowship

Meanwhile, I finally made a coaching contribution in a game that qualifies as incremental progress. Suggested that we make a defensive substitution to stop their run. Gravy when the guy also hit two jumpers to put us in front!

It was heartening to see one of our players have a career day in points. He played minimally last year, never complained, asked what he could do to improve, went to camps and open gyms over the summer, and it all came together.

Still got in a week's worth of workouts, plus some extra cardio work when one of our players sprained his ankle. Two full practices as tenth man on the sophomore team of a 2,000 student school. If only I'd been a grown man in high school, I could've been a quality player.

We are undefeated these last two weeks.

I caught a cold coming home from one of the games. The next day I stuffed myself with vitamin C pills, orange juice, and Sudafed tablets, and laid on the couch. On Saturday Dena woke up with a sore throat. Then she went out and rang the Salvation Army kettle bell for a couple hours at night in the cold. I'm telling you, she oughta be a finalist for the Nobel Peace Prize in the "reliability" category.

Got some online Christmas shopping done and gifts wrapped.

Picked up my increasingly essential little black book for 2011. It's been a great and sufficient tool for keeping notes and checklists.

We're coming upon the last full week of shrinking daylight. What a prime time to grasp the Christmas holiday spirit!

No comments: