Monday, December 20, 2010

Jumping Still

Dena's car engine wouldn't start today. I'd taken the day off work to get some things done, but it was no problem for her to take my car since I was just waking up as she headed out. She planned to be back by noon, but that stretched later. Her car was under the carport, making access to it limited for a jump. Our retired neighbor was out of the house for the moment, so it made sense to spend time immediately to jump her car while the adjacent space was still open. While fumbling our way to success in reviving the Grand Prix, I found myself sitting in the driver's seat of the Saturn waiting for the engine to warm up. My adrenaline started rushing as I pondered the afternoon daylight passing by. Sensing my impatience rising, I figured it was a good time to close my eyes and try a bit of meditative "sit and smile." Sure enough, after less than a minute of quieting the mind by diverting it elsewhere, the poisonous thoughts had passed. So simple. A nutrient worth taking more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband finds these situations fun and challenging. I think he gets an adrenaline rush in a positive way. While I'm with you. The last time my car lost it's juice I was sitting in the Kroger parking lot wondering why me, and why no one would come to my aid. He was there within 15 minutes of the first call. My hero :)

Joe McDonald said...

Since it's happened twice in a year, I think there may be some new opportunity for him to enjoy the adrenaline rush for 50 miles of round-trip driving!