Saturday, May 29, 2010

High/Low, Week 20 2010

The week's low point came when a resident of the condo association came to me with a complaint. For years, a spruce tree outside our bedroom window obstructed the view of the pool. This became a minor nuisance when trying to provide "neighborhood watch" services in monitoring proper use of pool rules. Since additionally I know these types of trees grow to broad sizes and would eventually threaten the sidewalks, etc. I suggested at the last Board meeting that we remove it. The motion passed, the deed was done, and an 18-year resident felt like "a part of her had died." What was especially unsettling about it is that I violated one of my central principles of leadership - hasty decisions without getting input from those affected. This realization was a divine slap in the face, reminding me how I'd wasted some brain cells earlier in the day mentally condemning department management for orchestrating a physical desk move that affected my co-workers without talking to me about it first. What's that proverb about pointing out the speck in my neighbor's eye while ignoring the plank in my own?

The high point was just as easy to identify. I came into work and spied a card on my desk. I thought it was a belated birthday card from a co-worker, but it turned out to be a handwritten message of heartfelt thanks from the family of someone on the team. What an unexpected affirmation! The week was as exciting as I'd anticipated at work. Tyson's happily off to his new job, Emily and Paulette are already making solid progress as department newbies.

We won a soccer game! The cause seemed hopeless a few weeks ago. Then in this game, with 90 degree temperatures and starting the game shorthanded, we scored twice. I felt especially satisfied because I sort of invented a "defensive midfield" position and shadowed the other team's best scorer. Defense was always my greatest strength in sports, and not only did I feel energized the whole game and needed little rest, but I could sense their offense becoming demoralized as I made a series of plays that stalled most every attack. Plus from that vantage point I was able to "captain" those ahead of me, calling out to them to match up with opponents so that no one slipped behind our coverage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did the right thing in removing the spruce tree. What if a storm took it down and it damaged property? Also, you now have full view of the pool and can monitor like you said. Quite a few kids in the neighborhood, right? We all know it takes a village to raise a child....the view may come in handy sometime when horseplay is evident, and parents are not. Loosing a child or young adult to accident is much worse than loosing a tree.

Joe McDonald said...

:)

Thanks! I hope it pays off...