Wednesday, May 12, 2010

In And Out

"I use Eastern philosophy. I use the Zen thing to overcome that. Because that's right. Everybody's got this little voice saying, you know, 'You're gonna screw up.' But whenever you have a negative thought - which is natural, by the way - then you replace it with a positive thought. That's what Eastern philosophy does. So on the air, if I said, you know, 'I'm gonna make a mistake,' then I say, 'No, I'm not. I'm not going to make a mistake. I'm good at what I do.' Negative thought, replaced by a positive thought, wipes out the negative thought almost 100 percent of the time." - Bill O'Reilly

The mind can't focus on two things at once. Might as well stick something uplifting in there. I will say that the biggest struggle I have applying this is when bad dreams disrupt my R.E.M. sleep. Like this morning, when I dreamed that four men in suits delicately took me into a conference room to tell me that they'd be taking my employee Betty away to work somewhere else. What? Lose a 35-year employee? On the downside, disoriented as these moments are, I can't get it out of my head. A good note: in the dream, I responded calmly, "Whatever's best for the company." Fortunately I've lived enough mistakes of losing my cool by trying to dig in my heels in meetings that it's nice to know, at least in Nightmareland, that I can keep it together.

No comments: