Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shortest Way To The Mountaintop

"What I try to do is attack exactly what I have in front of me, as soon as I can." - Bobby Flay, celebrity chef and T.V. personality

Few things are as mentally draining as realizing at the end of the day that the three items atop the morning's to-do list never got done. In my job, the siren call of e-mail is the opponent.

"Time to start work on that premium project..."

*ding*

"Hmmm, what's this about 'Help, Please'? Skimming... someone needs me to look up a fact and send it to them. Won't take but a minute."

*ding*

"Tyson's first baby was born! Photos! Awwww..."

*ding*

"The department head wants me to do a presentation on spam e-mail? Let's read the corporate message points here..."

*ding*

"Whoa, ten minutes until my 1-on-1 with the boss! What's most important to talk about today..."

And on it goes. Whether it's e-mail at the office or a good T.V. show at home, there's always a convenient time-sucker that leaves me feeling undisciplined and wasted whenever I give in. Ancient wisdom says "This one thing I do." That guy probably felt as good as I did when I tackled the oldest tasks in my inbox this morning. Sure, others may have piled up in the meantime, but the small act of setting a goal and seeing it through with focus means more to me than answering a hundred trivial tasks trying to distract me instead.

No comments: