Saturday, May 1, 2010

Well Defined

"It was the first time I was able to look at football as something that God was allowing me to do, not something that should define me." - Tony Dungy

He was getting at those crisis situations where it's easy to fret over what we are going to do next. How important is the "crisis" in the big picture? What football moment takes on as much significance as anything having to do with the soul of the way we treat others?

As a supervisor, I once said to an employee that I enjoyed difficult conversations. "You are so full of s---," was the angry response, and she was right. The only thing I would have regretted more than the inane statement I'd just made was if I'd reacted to her comment with venom of my own. Instead, we talked it out. In time, we became friends.

No comments: