Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Funk-Free

"I'm not so confident that I'm not self-questioning. I'm continually questioning. I have my good days and bad days, like anybody. But I don't stay in a fun. I work through it. You know, if I'm coming to work and I'm just... I come in, and just start plugging away. I have confidence by the end of the day I'll have worked my way through it." - Bill Bratton, police chief of Los Angeles

This is a guy who presided over one of the most dramatic turnarounds in any American city, as New York climbed from the depths of its worst crime record to an outstanding safety track in less than ten years. It must have been overwhelming to most men, and probably even to him. So he did what any of us can do in any circumstance... pick a well-planned path and steadily follow it. Little successes snowball into big wins. I can't say how many times I've talked myself into a small workout, and then found myself going far beyond. I think it's the momentum of overcoming laziness to set foot in the gym. That trivial feat touches off a good-feeling vibe that stretches for hours.

No comments: